Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières – Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada
Synthetic biology has the potential to revolutionize the production of biofuels, chemicals, and others materials. As part of a SynBio-MicroAlgae funded project, the Plant Specialized Metabolism & Engineering Division seeks to develop non-model Chlamydomonas reinhardtii strain for production of valuable plant metabolites with opening for a Synthetic Biology Postdoctoral fellow and PhD students.
What You Will Do:
- Develop a non-model microalgae for production of plant molecules, leveraging metabolic engineering and synthetic biology.
- Mine enzymes required for target metabolite production.
- Design, build and test pathways for molecule production.
- Analyze datasets to identify/predict rate-limiting steps, competing pathways, and regulatory mechanisms to improve the flux through target pathways.
- Measure target metabolites using LC-MS or GC-MS.
- Prepare DNA and RNA samples for sequencing analyses.
- Summarize experimental results and present them at group meetings.
- Keep precise and detailed laboratory notebooks.
- Manage relationships with our collaborators
What Is Required:
- Ph.D. degree for Postdoctoral postion or Master’s degree for the PhD student opening in the relevant fields in Microbiology, Metabolic Engineering, and Synthetic Biology.
- Strong motivation to contribute to develop the areas of research.
- Detailed knowledge in microbial biochemistry, genetics, metabolism, and physiology.
- Preferred experience in molecular biology techniques (molecular cloning, DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis).
- Preferred experience with Chlamydomonas culture and molecular biology.
- Ability to successfully work in a dynamic team environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- This is a full time, 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
- Salary in Canadian dollar is $40 000 for Postdoc and $25 000 for PhD.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Université du Québec in Trois-Rivières, Trois-Rivières.
Send letter of interest, CV, and name of 3 referees to Isabel.Desgagne-Penix@uqtr.ca